mobile menu button
Home > Parks & Open Spaces > Shire Hall & Market Square

Shire Hall & Market Square

Originally built by Thomas Seckford, the upper part of the Shire Hall was used for judicial purposes while the ground floor served as an open corn market.   Many changes followed over the intervening centuries, notably the addition of Flemish gabling and stone capping in the 17th Century and the bricking up of the archways in the early 19th Century. However, the Hall continued to serve in a judicial capacity until recent times, maintaining a link with the Elizabethan era.

In 1987 the Town Council purchased the Shire Hall, which now serves as the administration centre.  Follow this link to find out more about the  Town Council Grant of Arms.

Hiring the Shire Hall and/or Market Square

Follow this link for more information about hiring the Shire Hall and/or Market Square for events and meetings.

The Shire Hall is also an approved premises for Civic Marriages, Partnership Ceremonies and Baby Naming Ceremonies.

 

For more information about getting married at the Shire Hall follow the link

The Market Square provides seated areas underneath the canopy of mature trees and is also the site of an ornate stone pump house built in 1876.

For more information about the Hire of the Council Chamber you can telephone us on 01394 383599 or Email the Town Clerk.